10. BEAUTIFUL LEBANON
Lebanon’s landscape and natural beauty have been devastated by the lack of institutions and corruption since 1975. Historical sites of World Heritage importance are crumbling and disappearing under concrete and anarchic constructions. Access to the Temple of Bacchus, to the sites of Tyre and to many other sites is made difficult by chaotic urbanization.
Areas of natural beauty are tainted by concrete and by illegal constructions. The Lebanese coast line has been spoiled and illegally privatized by real estate developments, advertising billboards, unfinished constructions and electricity poles are polluting Lebanon’s beautiful sceneries visually. Lebanon is polluted physically by garbage, plastic bags, waste and polluted water.
Lebanon must become again the beautiful country it was in the past. Its natural and historical heritage must be preserved, nurtured and managed efficiently.
THE PARTY OF LEBANON WANTS
1. ENACT A MASTER PLAN FOR HISTORICAL SITES PROTECTION AND REHABILITATION.
Establish the LEBANESE HERITAGE FOUNDATION to enact a coherent plan of protection and rehabilitation of Lebanon’s immense historical heritage with the help of UNESCO and civil society. Encourage private and international funding of the rehabilitation of Historical Heritage.
2. ENACT A MASTER PLAN FOR TOURISM AND HISTORICAL SITES MANAGEMENT
Establish the LEBANESE SITES MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY to enact a coherent plan of management and commercial exploitation of Lebanese sites of historical interest and natural beauty with Private – Public Partnerships to make the necessary investments and Build-Operate-Transfer management schemes
3. PROTECT HISTORICAL SITES AND SITES OF NATURAL BEAUTY by making their SURROUNDING AREAS NON-CONSTRUCTIBLE. Lawfully evict current inhabitants and destroy current local constructions. State Laws and regulations will prevail and general cultural interest will prevail over local regulations.
4. REVOKE ALL ILLEGAL CONSTRUCTIONS ON THE PUBLIC MARITIME DOMAIN
Replace ownership rights by 30-year leases with reversion to the State at the end of the 30-year period. Cancel all the Presidential or Ministerial decrees that have been enacted since 1975 providing exemptions that were not in the general Lebanese interest.
5. REFORM BUILDING PERMITS PROCESSES by imposing performance bonds and completion dates and hefty financial and criminal penalties on landlords and contractors who leave construction works unfinished. Owners of unfinished constructions must complete or destroy unfinished constructions within 1 year. Building Permits will have to include compulsory Solar Water Heating systems as well as Parking Spaces.
6. PROHIBIT ADVERTISING BILLBOARDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY as is the case in the Chouf Area. Billboards will only be authorized in dedicated areas of special urban or commercial density such as airports, commercial zones or urban area perimeters and will be regulated by a code of visual advertising. Existing Billboards will be phased out within three years with an obligation to physically remove the boards and rehabilitate the site at their expense of the operators.
7. MAKE THE ENTIRE ELECTRICITY NETWORK UNDERGROUND and remove all the electricity poles apart from high voltage transmission lines. The NATIONAL GRID COMPANY will manage a unique underground network handling electricity, Fibre Optic, telecommunication, water, and sewage in an efficient way.